What are you bringing to NBTA 2010? A bowling ball? Legal counsel?

July 29, 2010 at 8:33 am 7 comments

Follow carrying_on on Twitter

by Tony

Mike D recently released his 2010 NBTA packing guide to critical acclaim. As a complement to this fine piece of work, I’m pleased to present my own guide. While Daly and I will both be carrying on our luggage, that crazy guy will be packing his stuff, white dinner coat included, in a ratty Nike duffel that is shabbier than what you used for treks home while in college. To each his own.

1. BOWLING BALL | – Some folks like to wine and dine the prospects. I prefer to take them to the alley. If I can’t find any takers to roll a few frames in Houston, I’ll just line up some drunk pinheads in the hall of the hotel – STRIKE!
  2. ELVIS PRESLEY 68 COMEBACK SPECIAL CD…or LADY GAGA |Both get me mentally pumped before I hit the stage to moderate a riveting panel discussion.
  3. LEGAL COUNSEL | It’s a bit expensive to actually have a lawyer tag along, but just in case I need to bail Daly out of a thorny situation, I always carry a card from my preferred law firm, Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.
  4. MLB.COM ACCESS | The Yankees have a day game vs. the hated Red Sox on Monday the 9th. I’ll need a live feed for regular updates in between demos on the trade show floor. Now, only if I was eligible to win one of those nifty iPads.
  5. PIZZA PIE | Houston can’t possibly have good pizza. For any other displaced New Yorkers, come find me for a slice from Vito’s.
  6. HD VISION SUNGLASSES | There’s no way you want to step foot onto the NBTA exhibit floor without being able to see all the action in high definition. I have a pair and they have changed my life just like the infomercial said they would.
  7. BREATH FRESHENER | Dirty mouth? I always carry 2 packs of Orbit Spearmint gum. It’s smart to have fresh breath and the second pack is for my colleagues in need.  This is extremely important on Day 2, and a must have on Day 3.

Now that Daly and I have shared our lists, what’s on yours? Share your must have NBTA items – either shoot us an email or add it to the comments below.

Entry filed under: Business Travel, Events, Tony's thoughts. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

May your travel lead to profits Want an iPad? You gotta Beat the Booker. Updated with new clues. View Slideshow.

7 Comments Add your own

• 1. Michael Jacques  |  July 29, 2010 at 11:20 am

Hey Mike and Tony,

How about “ear muffs” because I have been quoted “…keep the noise down!” and if hear the words convergence, consolidation, going global, direct-connect and mobile one more time, well I just might need that little white bag from the airplane seat! What will this year’s buzz-word be? And ITA is not a word. Lastly and this is for some “in search of….” don’t forget your resume, as this event has been called “the year’s biggest resume swap!”

Really, all-in-all, looking forward to another NBTA!

All the best – Michael Jacques
    PS: will meet you for that slice at Vito’s

• 2. Tony D  |  July 30, 2010 at 10:43 am

Mike,

Good one, and ear muffs will be added ot the list for sure. And yes, lots of resume’s are an NBTA staple as well. As for the buzz word, I’m going with “user centric” because that one is legit :-).

As to my pizza, there are 8 slices in a large pie from Vitoi’s, and I’ve had 142 requests from the readers on the blog so far, so I’m afraid it’s first 8 to the booth on that one.

See you in Houston,
      TD

• 3. Robin Buzzeo  |  July 30, 2010 at 6:20 am

Hey, Tony. Hold a slice for me. Pizza from anywhere else is just doesn’t work. Maybe it’s the water!! Tell me when to be at booth but make sure you have red pepper flakes!

• 4. Tony D  |  July 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

Robin,

Yes, nothing better than crushed red pepper on a slice (I also like a liberal sprinking of oregano), but we have to watch the hot food while in Houston because i hear the heat index will be at 108,

See you down there and I’ll be the guy sweating.

TD

• 5. Lois Lane  |  July 31, 2010 at 10:55 am

I was surprised to find you here…. I have a question and a comment… wonder if you ever get to have a rousing game of hang man on these trips?? and … truce alright…..!

• 6. Bev Heinritz  |  August 3, 2010 at 5:16 am

Tony – When in Texas you put jalapenos on your pizza pie!

• 7. Chainsaw  |  August 8, 2010 at 10:45 am

I just parked at the airport, and I’m ready for NBTA. I got myself pumped by listening to Wagner’s Ride of the Valkyries, Leroy Brown by Croce, and MmmmBop, from those Hanson gals. As opposed to Tony, I didn’t have to bring CD’s, since I use this new fangled device called an iPod. See you in Houston.